Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Chicken Curry... the way I like it

So I looooove chicken curry from Thai restaurants. Problem is I don't eat at restaurants very often (for economical and health reasons). So I decided, early on in my marriage, that I would try to cook delicious restaurant-y food at home (minus a good portion of the fat and sodium). Enter my chicken curry stage right. This isn't EXACTLY like the curry you would get at a restaurant - it's not as sweet as some and definitely not as soupy as most - but i love it. And so does Danny. It's kind of his favorite thing that I make.

So just in case you're feeling daring, here is the recipe. Enjoy!

Yellow Curry Paste:
1 tsp cumin (calls for seeds - I just used the ground stuff)
1 tsp coriander (calls for seeds - I just use the ground stuff)
3 tsp yellow curry powder
1 tsp crushed red pepper (original recipe calls for 2 tsps but I know you are and live with wimps)
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2 cloves
1 small onion
2-3 garlic cloves (2 if they're really big)

Curry:
2 large boneless chicken breasts, cut into strips
2 TBSP oil
1 recipe yellow curry paste
1 can coconut milk (not fat free - messes with the taste)
4 medium waxy potatoes (gold are best, russet will work too), cubed
1 red bell pepper, cut in strips
1/2 tsp sugar
handful of fresh basil or cilantro

1. Make curry paste - (if you use the coriander and cumin seeds, toast them for 2-3 minutes first). Add curry past ingredients together in a blender with 1-2 TBSP water.
2. Heat oil over high and add chicken. Salt LIGHTLY (or it'll turn out toooooo salty). Saute just until pink is gone and put aside in a bowl.
3. Reduce heat to medium. Add curry paste to pan and stir constantly until most of the liquid evaporates.
4. Add half of the coconut milk and stir until the paste has dissolved then add the rest of milk, 1/2 tsp sugar, and potatoes. Heat until milk bubbles.
5. Reduce heat to med-low and simmer until potatoes are tender (10-15 minutes).
6. Add chicken and red pepper. Simmer until red peppers cook a smidge (ha).
7. Taste and add salt if needed. Serve with sticky rice.

Nom nom nom

No comments:

Post a Comment