Thursday, February 17, 2011

Salad can be delicious

So I love a good asian salad with the water chestnuts and the sesame seeds and the dressing and the wontons. The wontons are probably the best part. The problem is this: I can't eat wontons anymore because of the whole celiac disease thing. What good is an asian chicken salad without the crunch of the wontons? How many times can I say 'wonton' in one paragraph? I was craving a-one-of-these salads so bad last week that I finally just made up my own version. I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier but I used snow peas in place of the wontons - just as much crunch and a lot healthier.

For the salad dressing:
1/4 c olive oil
1/4 c fresh squeezed orange juice
2 tsp soy sauce
2 tsp coconut milk (optional)
1 tsp rice vinegar
1 TBS agave nectar or honey

Mix everything together and refrigerate until ready to serve.

For the chicken:
(you can obviously nix the meat)
3 med/small chicken breast
3 cloves of garlic, roasted*
1 TBS oil
1 splash of sesame seed oil
1 inch of ginger root, peeled and sliced
1/4 c soy sauce
1/4 brown sugar
1 TBS fish (or oyster) sauce
Mix the soy sauce and sugar. Warm the oil and sesame seed oil in a skillet and sautee the garlic. Add the chicken and cook until almost done. Add the ginger, sugar and soy sauce, and fish sauce. Reduce heat and simmer for 7ish minutes (or until most of liquid evaporates). Remove the ginger chips when done.

*You can just mince the garlic but I just love the creamy consistency of roasted garlic.

For the salad:
2 large hearts of romaine, washed and chopped
1 red pepper
1 or 2 handfuls of snow peas
2 oranges, pith removed, sections cut out and chopped
1 can of sliced water chestnuts, chopped
2 green onions, chopped

Assemble salad, put chicken on top. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve with dressing. Delish.

No comments:

Post a Comment